Midtown residents have some very unwelcome guests. Fox40 reports that an infestation of stink bugs has colonized the Capitol Park area near 13th and L streets.
These are the larger marmorated stink bugs that have been labeled as a super pest by researchers. They eat just about anything and when the temperatures begin to drop they'll be moving indoors.
Tips on how to stop stink bugs before they come inside:
1. Seal off entry points: Pay close attention to siding, window air conditioners and chimneys.
2. Replace and repair window and door screens
3. Trap them before they come indoor.
4. Keep outdoor lighting to a minimum: Turn off porch lights and close blinds.
5. Properly ventilate basements, attics and garages to eliminate harborage points
6. Don't squish them. When they are crushed the bugs release a stinky odor. Pick them up with a tissue and flush them down the toilet.
Photo: Ton Rulkens [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons