An Elk Grove family is safe after escaping a house fire this morning. Fire officials say the blaze broke out in the garage in front of the home on Hydrangea Court around 3:15 a.m.

A smoke alarm jolted family members awake, and as they tried to escape through the front door, they were quickly turned around by a wall of flames.

The family of five and their pets were able to safely exit through the back door. Investigators point to the spontaneous combustion of linseed oil-soaked paper towels in the garage as the likely catalyst.